Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chapter Four: Out of My World

  I opened my eyes to see Briarpaw standing over me. Her eyes were filled with both relief in something I couldn't recognize.... it seemed like hatred. Towards me? Towards Grasseyes? I didn't know. All I could do was sit up painfully and looked confused, which I was. All I remembered was Grasseyes squishing me until I couldn't breath. I thought I was dead. Letting the emotions of my thoughts show, I pondered.
    Where would I have gone then, when I was dead? I've heard stories of Starclan, but I knew i wouldn't have gone there. Shaking it out of my head, I snapped back into reality.
  "So your alive." she commented. I rolled my eyes. "No, we both died and now we are in an exact replica of this forest." I said sarcastically, just to surface some humor. "Of course I'm alive! Now how did I get here, how AM I alive, and what happened to Grasseyes?" I said, almost overwhelming myself, if i didn't already do that to Briarpaw. But she looked at me calmly.
    "I thought Grasseyes killed you. Maybe he thought you were dead, but after you.." she searched for the right word. "Got knocked unconscious, I wasn't worth it so he left to go back to the clan and say I can never come back. There was a storm, so I dragged you under this tree." she explained slowly. She looked down, almost looking....... embarrassed. I stared at her, perplexed at the moment. What was going on in her head? Thinking that made me want to know so badly. I mentally shook myself, getting this burning curiosity out of my head. Then I realized something in a jolt. She saved my life. She must've betrayed her clan-mate for a rouge, me. Why!?!? I wanted to ask her, but the words couldn't come out.
     "Thank you." I seemed to say instead. "For saving my life." I added on. She looked back, almost in a daze. "You saved my life, I was returning the favor." she said in a dismissive tone, and i flinched. "Now we're even."
    After that she seemed to notice my flinch, and she seemed to reflect it. "Why me, why a rouge?" I asked, my strong curiosity leaking out into my voice that I just couldn't hide. Instead of staring at her, I watched the storm, as if i was asking it instead.
    "I don't know." she said quietly. "I wish i knew, but something made me want to help you, I guess because I knew you were innocent." she said, then looked down at her shuffling paws. "W-when I saw your fighting Greeneyes, I thought you would win, then you'd come after me next, sense I am in the clan, which you hate." she said.
   "So why bother saving me?" Briarpaw asked. "I'm not worth killing yourself over." she admitted. No, you were worth it! You saved my life twice in one day! Again i stopped myself. I felt so tongue tied. Why can't the word come out of my mouth? I felt her stare burn my pelt and I turned my gaze back to her.
   "Your not part of the clan anymore." I said, almost coldly. I regretted it at once, but I knew what I didn't regret, and that was saving Briarpaw.
    "So I can't hate you, can I?" I finished. And Briarpaw's hurt rolled off her like waves. "I don't regret saving you, because I like you, okay?" she said quietly after a few heartbeats.
   "And there's no point in this anymore if you don't feel the same way, though i thought you did." she choked out. She spun around, pushing herself from under the low-sweeping pine branches and out into the open storm.
   "Briarpaw-" I said, but I knew it was too way. I let her out of my world and into her own. Though I regret what I said just then, almost at once. I thought it was for the best. he suddenly realized. I... I know what my destiny is, what I need to do, and if she gets too close, I know it will hurt her.
   It was for the best.... it kept ringing in my ears, but I didn't know if I believed it. All I knew was that it was my destiny to bring my revenge onto the clans.

(AT LEAST THREE COMMENTS FOR CHAPTAH FIVE!)

3 comments: